Friday, February 14, 2014

How can a fresh from college 3D animation student get into the bizz?

How can a fresh from college 3D animation student get into the bizz?
So I just graduated from CNM with a certificate in computer animation, I'm not bad and my teacher said I should look for work right away rather then go get more schooling. Any good tips or help on how to get into the business? I'd really like to do background/prop modeling for either movies or games. Live in new mexico by the way, not much around here for big companies.
Programming & Design - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Lol... no offense I love the idea that you are passionate about this, and it makes me happy to see that at least you can turn on your computer, but there's not a lot out there for a 3d animator... try to get on at an advertisement company.. that's a good idea.
2 :
To be honest, I have to question the remarks from your teacher.While there are always going to be talented, prodigy type students, the role of the teacher is not to discourage further development. If you are really serious, you must understand that the professionals in animation and game development rely on very complex math and physics skills that are in many cases at the Phd, level. While the certificate may have taught you to the basics, they will not guarentee you a position, esspecially when you are competing with someone who has "Dr." in front of thier name. If you choose not to go to school, the only advise that I can give is to work on as many projects as you can on your own. If you can't show an extensive educational background, then the only other asset will get people to take you seriously is proven experience. Both are recommended for best results. I have been working as a software developer for about 9 years. Before that I was a self taught graphic designer. I am currently finishing my second degree and plan to back just to stay competative in the industry.
3 :
Only getting a certificate in something is like a high school diploma now-a-days. You need at least a bachelors to be even considered for a good job. You might be good, but they need more than that to even consider you. If you want to look for internships at companies, while continuing your education, you might have a shot. Not trying to rain on your parade, but its tough out here. I have a Bachelors in Web Development and Associate of Applied Science, but I still can't get work. So I freelance for now. If there is nothing near you look further out, or worse, think about moving. Arizona and Cali aren't that far from you. Good luck and I hope you decide to get more education. P.S. Your teacher needs to be fired!!!

Read more other entries :