Saturday, April 28, 2012

Can I get my car inspected in New York, with New Mexico Registration?

Can I get my car inspected in New York, with New Mexico Registration?
I'm a grad student at New Mexico State Univ. However my research is in Long Island NY. I'll be staying there for about 18 months. I'm worried about my insurance and car inspection..... Can I get my car inspected in New York, with New Mexico Registration?
Insurance & Registration - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
do yourself a favor, all states that you live in for more than 30 days, consider you a resident, they are no longer leineient like they used to be, this is a tax fraud, to not register, and now the police can, and do impound vehicles for unpaid registration fees. The fees start the day you moved, instead of trying to have your cake and eat it to, plan on going down with your vehicle, and title, get the car registered and pay the fees for licensing and title (keep your old plates, for if you move back ok?) this is so much easier, and less hassle , why would you look over your shoulder all those long months wondering when some bored rookie cop is going to stop and ask you? get it over with, avoid several hundred dollars in impound fees, it sucks yes, but use your brain, its cheaper and easier to do this voluntarily, than to make some cop go through the process, impound your vehicle and then you have to fix all this stuff(while the car is stuck in impound too???) good luck.
2 :
no.... but why would you need/want to ???? Full time College students attending school away from home have special privileges. They are considered to still be a resident of their home state while attending school out of state.

Read more other entries :