Saturday, May 28, 2011

What is the tax treaty name between Mexico and USA for students to get a refund on their 2010 federal tax ?

What is the tax treaty name between Mexico and USA for students to get a refund on their 2010 federal tax ?
I sent all my papers to the IRS in Austin this year. I fulfilled the substantial presence test for year 2010, and now the IRS is asking me what is my tax treaty name as to be exempt from tax payment. I'm a grad student from Mexico and I would like to know what is this treaty name. All help is greatly appreiated!!!
United States - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
There is no treaty that exempts grad students from federal income taxes on their US income. If you've been here for more than 5 years you may be able to file as a resident alien but that's the only change that I'm aware of.
2 :
You aren't exempt.
3 :
You are not exempt. There is no treaty making you exempt.
4 :
So, you are claiming you arrived in the US in 2005 or earlier and now are a resident alien for tax purposes. The treaty covers non-residents. If you meet the substantial presence test, article 15 doesn't apply. The student article doesn't exclude anything either.

Read more other entries :