Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I am a Mexican student, can I drive my mexican car in the US?

I am a Mexican student, can I drive my mexican car in the US?
I'm an exchange student and live in Mexico (near the border) and I'm wondering if I can take my car into the US for a few months. I have insurance and I'm the owner of the car. I do not want to import it as I will be returning in a few months and it seems pointless to buy a new car if I'm only staying a few months. I will be attending the University of Arizona in Tucson. I don't want to import the car (that means to make it American), I just want to use it for a few months with its mexica license plates. I have US insurance.
Insurance & Registration - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I don't know but that would be cool to see a Mexican car aroubd. Maybe you can since I always see cars with European license plates around. What school are you from?
2 :
wen my dad had his car in jamaica and decided to move to the us he had some trouble getting it here but since he worked for customs he got it through. i remember him teling me that he should have had to put it through inspections and maybe pay taxes on it or something so thats wut ik. i dont think its easy to get ur car in but then that was jamaica a couple years ago and the steering wheel was on the left so it might be different. good luck!
3 :
http://ask.metafilter.com/42841/Travelling-in-Mexico-by-car Hope this helps, you'll just need valid ID, Social Security Number and Driver's License.
4 :
Yes you can travel in a Mexican Car any where in N. America. I've seen a few in Toronto !
5 :
I'm sure you can, but I don't think your Mexican insurance is valid here. I live in Arizona and my insurance is invalid in Mexico. I see cars with Sonora plates all the time. Please make sure whatever you do, you have valid insurance while in the US.
6 :
You better check with the Arizona DMV to be certain.
7 :
I am a university student at a school in San Antonio, Texas and I have a friend who is from Monterrey. His car has Nuevo Leon plates and he drives it in the states with no problem. As long as you have US insurance and you are a student, then you should be able to just keep your car registered in Mexico. I tried looking at the Arizona Department of Transportation website but they didn't have a specific answer for this. You might want to email the Arizona Department of Transportation to make 100% positive, but you should be fine.

Read more other entries :