Saturday, January 7, 2012

F-1 student to re-enter US through Mexico HELP!!?

F-1 student to re-enter US through Mexico HELP!!?
Hi, I'm an F-1 student, In the past month I became out-of-status, I talked to my International students adviser and she said that I have to choose one of two options: 1- file for reinstatement 2- leave and re-enter the country I think I'll choose to reenter the US but, my country is a 15-hour flight so It's really far away. I thought I can reenter through Mexico because it's closest country here, my Adviser said that It might be a risk because I would have fresh I-20 and that might and might not be a problem( because I'm not entering the US from my original country), so I didn't want to go there and be stuck away from my home. So do you guys have any ideas on what to do? thanks,
Immigration - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
go Home and stay there
2 :
Yes, go back to your own country.
3 :
Well, there are various factors, but if you had to go through a security clearance in getting your first student visa, you'll have to do it again, if you leave. So, if it took a while after your initial interview for the visa, chances are quite good that will happen again. and if you get stuck in Mexico for a while, that won't do you much good. If you didn't have any problems the first time chances are you won't the second. However, remaining in the US while in student status is pretty much risk free. Check out the visa waiting times in the visa section at travel.state.gov to see how long it will take for you to even get an interview appointment.

Read more other entries :