Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Can an international student become a US resident?

Can an international student become a US resident?
I finished my undergraduate studies at University of New Mexico and will start grad school in the fall.I have been here for five years and I am wondering if I could apply for residency? I am on a student visa. Also, can I get a credit card from a bank? Which bank?
Immigration - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
these days it seems that you have a better chance of gaining employment, if you aren't a citizen. just apply for a job you want, and let them sponsor you for a work visa.
2 :
If you want to apply for residency, you will need a sponsor. If your school or an employer is willing to do it, then you can apply. Otherwise, wait until you are done with grad school and apply for H-1B visa then. Most banks will give you a credit card. You need to show a driver's license or state ID card (which you can get without being a resident, as long as you are here legally).
3 :
If you apply now, while you are legally in the country it will be a much easier process. You will need someone willing to sponsor you or a job to sponsor you. Alot of international students in my college had credit cards. Just check with the first one that comes by the college.
4 :
I am sorry I can't help you with your question. I just want to tell you I think it is great you are here on a legal visa and trying to get legal residency. I don't care where you are from or your race, you are the kind of immigrant this country needs and I hope everything works out right for you. Good luck.
5 :
Assuming you have been perfectly LEGAL and maintaining your status and has been involved with no crime, then the following applies to you: 1. most students will try to get US employeers who are willing to sponsor them for work visa (or H1-B). This H1-b last for 3 years. It can be renewed 2 times only. After that the person needs to leave the country for 1 year. 2. During the 6 year duration of H1-B, there is a possibility for employee to request employment based green card sponsorship from the employeer. This takes few years. 3. You can also try the green card lottery (DV lottery). It is free, but the change is very small. 4. You can also marry US citizen. Of course there will be some checking/interviews to assure you dont do any marriage fraud. For credit card, the easiest one is try with the bank you are doing business with. From there, you build up your credit history and later you'd be able to apply credit card from others.

Read more other entries :