Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Can an int'l student work off campus in USA ?

Can an int'l student work off campus in USA ?
So I started college in a small town in New Mexico this fall as an int'l student and job opportunities here on campus are extremely limited. I mean I have really tried but cant find a job on campus. So in this case can I seek permission to work off campus ? I really need a job since there is nothing to do here and I want to keep myself busy and earn some money so that I can go home and see my parents over the christmas break.
Studying Abroad - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Generally not unless it's an internship as part of your course of study.
2 :
I think if you have a work visa? or just go to a place where you want to apply and ask, they'll probably tell you or maybe even hire you and pay under the table. I live in NM and know a few people who had the same problem.
3 :
You can legally work for a total of 12 months as an international student, which can either be while you attend school or after you graduate. Most kids like to use this for serious internships or for getting a foot in the door with an American company after they graduate in hopes the company will sponsor them to stay in the US. You need to apply and register any job and pay a fee when applying. Your school will have details. Otherwise just try Craig's list or local ads for pick up jobs like helping the elderly or babysitting.

Read more other entries :