Friday, June 14, 2013

Can you tell me about your exchange student experience?

Can you tell me about your exchange student experience?
I want to be an exchange student to learn culture and language, but frankly, being away from home scares me. I lived in Mexico for six weeks without my family when I was 15, and it wasn't the happiest of experiences, although I value it still for the things I learned and my exposure to the culture. I guess I just want to know if the exchange experience is worth it. (Right now I'm 16 but I plan on the trip the summer before my senior year) Also, any idea what programs I should go through? Are there certain ones I definitely should avoid?
Other - Education - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It depends on where you choose to go. Some places, even if you are away from home, you still kinda feel like you're at home. BUt some places are totally different. I for one chose to go to Japan! yes, it was tough. very tough, I mean Japan is just totally different from the US or california for that matter, but I did learn a lot. I did learn how to live on my own , how to communicate with foreigners (not only Japanese, but even other foreigners) and basically, I did learn a lot of things that i wouldn't learn if I would have stayed in the US. Basically, I learn how to depend only on myself, which is good, I think. And again, yes, it is difficult, you do get home-sick, but it's worth. It also makes it easier if you make friends or new hobbies in the "new" country, so you won't think bout you hometown much. Good luck and have fun. :)
2 :
I was an exchange student through rotary international. To be honest, it wasn't my thing but my parents encouraged me to go. I was so scared to leave home and leave my family you see. But I still went. And it was the best experience in my life. You will learn everything about yourself and the world. I have to admit that it is really a challenge to adjust to the culture and lifestyle of the host country. But, no matter what, you should go for it. The experience you'll get is the most important of it all. Hope you do it. Good luck.

Read more other entries :