Monday, May 7, 2012

Is Mexico City safe (college student wanting to study abroad)?

Is Mexico City safe (college student wanting to study abroad)?
My parents who are both Mexican but not from Mexico city warn me not to go but I really want to study abroad for one semester there. They say its too dangerous and polluted and that I should go somewhere else (Not Latin America) I think it won't be as expensive as going to Europe and it will be a different language. Also its close enough where I could come back home for a week if I get home sick. I would be studying at UNAM university which I hear is pretty good. What do you all think. I've never been to a big city except for Los Angeles and New York and I really like both so I want to study in a big city that has a lot of things to do. I feel like Mexico city is the best choice for me but I don't know if it is safe.. I want to know what you guys' perspective is on this. Thanks.
Mexico City - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Mexico City is not as high on the most polluted list as it once was. Most of the most polluted cities are now in East Asia. Mexico City is one of the safest places in the country, but it is a mega city so there is a lot of crime---however not as much as in Mexico State which surrounds the City on three sides. Also almost all of Mexico is very prone to seismic activity. Mexico City is a real city. It has a lot of nice and interesting things, but it is not as good of a place to be as L.A., NYC. Chicago, San Francisco, Boston or similar important cities in the USA. Frankly we live in Mexico and my son lives and studies in Mexico City and we feel that he is safer there than in the city where we actually live. Next semester he will be going to Europe to study and we are very happy about that and hope that he will do his Masters in Europe, USA, or Canada. Maybe you would like Madrid. It has over 5 million people. You could practice your Spanish there- they speak it a little differently from Mexicans, AND you would be in Europe. Mexico City is really not that cheap.

Read more other entries :